Monday, January 18, 2010

Natural gas fuels hot debate in Pa.

Many of the terms and concepts discussed by Rubin in Chapter 2 are referenced in the 1/18/10 Public Opinion article “Natural gas fuels hot debate in Pa.”

http://www.publicopiniononline.com/ci_14213840

The state is trying to decide whether to tax the companies that extract Marcellus Shale gas even though they already secure revenue from lease fees and future royalties. It’s interesting to read about the Democrat and Republican policy and revenue positions related to a state natural resource and the companies that will benefit from the gas extraction. I find it especially interesting that Governor Rendell wants to help the industry become an economic engine for the state but also share the tax burden beyond lease fees and royalties. While the newspaper article does note that most of the lease revenue goes to the general fund, I wonder whether the governor would consider earmarking tax revenue from Marcellus Shale gas extraction to help protect the environment where the drilling takes place?

2 comments:

  1. I am anxious to see what the environmental impact of drilling will be. If it's sooo terrible it will already be to late, but at least we made a buck. My interpretation of Rendell's move to increase taxes on the drilling doesn't really send a message of don’t do that, when the amount of land they are allowed to drill is increasing. It sends a message more along the line of DRILL as long as we are making enough money. (If you make enough money anything can be okay.)

    Also good point Phil I wonder if part of the money made goes to protect the environment that drilling destroys (or doesn’t?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been visiting your site often and I find it really interesting and informative.

    ReplyDelete